Sunday, July 29, 2007

First Anniversary

Friday was the first anniversary of my last chemo infusion. Whoo Hoo!! Makes me want to start feeling alot better.

Friday (before we realized it was an anniversary and something to celebrate) Jim and I went to a mastectomy store and I got a prosthesis for the right side. It's basically a silicone "falsie" that goes into a pocket in a "mastectomy bra." The saleswoman did a really great job "matching" me up (given the left side implant is about an inch too far to the left) and in finding a bra style that is comfortable for me. Thankfully, I didn't need a "filler" prosthesis for the left side.

I wore the prosthesis out of the store, and surprisingly felt "complete." The falsie is as "dead feeling" as the implant, so I not only look symmetrical, I feel symmetrical.

This was a big emotional step for me. I had been putting it off for some time.

Luckily, insurance covers needed prostheses once every two years and four undergarments a year.

Jim and I went to a club picnic yesterday. I felt comfortable showing off my falsie in a tank top. I haven't worn a tank top since before this all started.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending hugs and best wishes!
Congratulations Venita!
I think of you often...you are an inspiration!
Hugs-
Ann & Smokey(GA)

Unknown said...

Fantastic. I am glad you got one. And as for making them even, mine are far from even. One hangs lower than the other.LOL

Alice