Friday, June 12, 2009

Les Update--Thursday

I have been talking to Les daily since the DX of mets. He intends to fight, but is very emotional about this setback. He has come home from the hospital with steroids to reduce the inflammation in his brain, an anti-seizure medication, and Ativan for anxiety.

He has a PET scan scheduled for Monday to determine whether the cancer has spread elsewhere. Depending on the results of that scan, Les is scheduled for surgery to remove the cancer in his brain on Friday, or Wednesday if the surgeon can move around his schedule. Les would like to find a surgeon to remove the cancer from his throat at during the same surgery session.

Les is starting home-based physical therapy, primarily to address the paralysis in his right side. The therapist will be working with Les's insurance company to get him appropriate durable medical equipment. So far on their list is a walker with a support for his right arm, a wheelchair, and a hospital bed.

Les's friends are showing up to visit, and I understand these visits are pretty emotional. My brother Gary from Indiana arrived at Les's on Thursday. My sister Connie, also from Indiana, will arrive there probably Monday.

I will go when I am needed. I talk with Les everyday, and he thanks me for that.

Les is my second best friend in the world, after Jim.

No comments: