Wednesday, August 30, 2006

So Tired (by V)

This will be cryptic and brief.

Jim was a little less coherent today. In my absence, Jim says the GI DR told him his liver values were better and he might be able to come home Friday. Confirmed the liver values comment through the chart. Nothing in DR notes about coming home.

Jim walked 30 foot 2X at physical therapy. At occupational therapy, he took off and put on his shoes and socks before I had to leave for a pulmonary function test at the southside hospital. This is a followup to the whole lung cancer scare/continuing possibility.

I met Jim in the ambulance bay at the southside hospital for his pericentesis. They drew off 700 ccs. Not sure I understand the whole "we can't do this [relatively easy] procedure at the northside hospital." Well, the amubulance company will be getting maybe $800 for the transport.

Between my test and Jim's I had 1 1/2 hours. It was the most relaxing time I've had all week. I talked and laughed with the ladies in the X-Ray area that were going to do Jim's procedure; I had a quiet and filling lunch in the employee's cafeteria, which I just found today; and I browsed through the gift shop, and found a really nifty small lamp that looks like a tree in winter with a bird's nest in one branch.

Back to the northside hospital, and the wife (Bettey) of one of Jim's childhood friends (Goldie), came into visit for a few minutes. These folks now live in FL, but B was coming through town to visit family.

B showed up in the room with flowers. Jim didn't recognize her and told her she must have the wrong room. Thank you Goldie for the flowers; they are beautiful!! B listened to me and Jim kabbitz about his condition for a while. I couldn't understand why she sat there without adding much to the conversation.

OK I know I said this would be brief, but I have to tell you my favorite story about Bettey. She is Jewish; big time Jewish. But when she was young, in high school, I'm not sure what year, she was elected by the other members of the CYO (Christian Youth Organization) as its annual president (or whatever they called the position). Well, once the sponsoring priest figured out she was Jewish, he explained how she couldn't be the president (or even be in the organization) because she wasn't a Christian. I don't recall how it all worked out, but the point of my story is that Bettey is a member of the community, without regard to whatever cookie cutter she or someone else came out of. That is the part I admire the most about her.

Bettey and I walked out to the elevators when she had to leave. I then understood why she had been so quiet. She had never seen Jim so frail and sick, and that scared her. I guess I've grown somewhat used to it. B also seemed to understand where Jim and I am with regard to trying to get through this. A day at a time. Thank you, Bettey, for that.

I'm starting to grow my head hair!! I noticed it last week, and Jim noticed it on Sunday. It's not possible to say yet what color and consistency it will come back as. But many have told us we should expect something different. I used to be absolutely straight and fine, medium brown, but recently more gray than brown.

1 comment:

Fairydragonfly said...

One day at a time. Keeping you both in my thoughts. Lots of hugs!

Sheree