Friday, December 01, 2006

Thank you all/Radiation Over/Jim Sitter Tonight

I want to thank you all, up close and personal, for all the help you are giving us. I know some of you feel you aren't doing enough because of distance, but please know that getting your messages, either here or by email, helps keep me grounded, which helps keep Jim grounded. And I have my telephone friends, who give me the warmth of the human voice. Thank you all so much.

Today was the last of my radiation treatments!! YESSSHHH! The techs gave me a graduation diploma. I feel a little sunburnt the last two treatments, but I fared better than many people do with it. Oh, and the radiation fatigue, but I took a one hour nap with Jim today.

I am neck sore from the rear end accident yesterday, but I am sure it's just a muscle thing and I will get over it soon. I got PT today, and was able to go to the grocery because a local friend John and Jim's PT guy were with him while I was gone.

Sure there were some scary things today. For example, this morning, before therapy, I left Jim on the bedside commode to go upstairs to make him tea. When I went back downstairs, he was gone. I found him in the bathroom without his walker. That's why when I took a nap, I laid on the couch with him with my legs over his lap. I do so feel for anyone else (and I'm sure there are plenty) who are going through dementia with a loved one. But as my PT said today, I have to realize that this is not Jim. At least at this time, Jim is gone.

We get a Jim sitter tonight from 11 until 7 in the morning. I will be able to sleep in my own bed with my kitties. The man, Patrick, is supposed to also do meal prep, light housekeeping, and personal care for Jim. Yes I have a list of things for Patrick to do.

No comments: